Dear Dover High School Families,
We are excited for the continued return of cohorts of students to Dover High School and Regional Career Technical Center. The hybrid model in which students are in-person for two full days a week and virtual three days a week allows us to balance the importance of students being in the building for academic and social interaction with their peers and teachers with our mandate to maintain social distancing of six feet in the classroom and other areas throughout the building and campus. Most of our classrooms have a capacity of 24 students plus necessary teaching and support staff in non-COVID times. Because of that capacity, we must develop cohorts that ensure we do not exceed capacity in our rooms and other facilities like the Town Square and Auditorium.
Cohorts are built with that idea in mind. At the high school level this is not as simple as dividing the student body up by grades or letters of the alphabet. Many classes have students of multiple grade levels in them and it would and are not simply equally split between parts of the alphabet. Because of this reality, cohorts have been built one level at a time. As a new cohort is added to the existing cohort, it must be analyzed to ensure that classes do not exceed their socially distanced capacities. This means that as we add students, we must check to make sure each class in the building does not exceed its limit.
Students have been placed in cohorts based on when they have or will return to the building. Two cohorts are currently in the building and two will be added between March 1st and March 15th.
- The first cohort was Priority Students who began attending school on September 21, 2020. They currently attend school for four full days and one-half day a week. They will go to five full days starting XXX
- The second cohort were students in certain Career Technical Center programs with a heavy hands-on element. They have been in half-day cohorts since October 13, 2020. This group went to full day cohorts on February 15, 2021.
- The third cohort (Phase 3) is High Needs students. Administrators, teachers, case managers, and counselors worked to develop a list of students to return to the building first when the school went to in-person cohorts beyond the Priority Student and the existing Career Technical Center in-person cohorts. These students will return to school the week of March 1, 2021.
- The fourth cohort (Phase 4) is the rest of the students who chose the in-person option. They will return the week of March 15, 2021.
High Needs students (Phase 3) returning the week of March 1, 2021 will follow the schedule below.
- Cohort A High Needs Freshmen return on Monday March 1, 2021 for freshman orientation.
- Cohort B High Needs Freshmen return on Tuesday, March 2,2021 for freshman orientation.
- Cohort A High Needs Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors return on Thursday, March 4, 2021.
- Cohort B High Needs Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors return on Friday, March 5, 2021.
Students in the fourth cohort (Phase 4) returning the week of March 15, 2021 will follow the schedule below.
- Cohort A Freshman return on Thursday, March 11, 2021 for freshman orientation.
- Cohort B Freshman return on Friday, March 12, 2021 for freshman orientation.
- Cohort A Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors return on Monday, March 15, 2021.
- Cohort B Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors return on Tuesday, March 16, 2021.
We will send out reminders to students and their families of their return date. We ask that all students and families review the Dover High School and Regional Career Technical Center Student and Family Reentry Document before returning to school to make sure they are aware of policies and procedures.
Students and families should reach out to their counselor with any questions.